Friday 11 December 2015

My friends, the change makers..giving hope!!


Opening newspaper in the morning is getting scarier by the day for most. Greed, protests, intolerance and acts of hatred, abetment to suicide, murder, molestation, missing paintings, confusing justice!  Forget natural calamity- that’s something we can’t do much about but just look at negative news, one after another, about insensitive humans being thrown at us. It's a very disturbing trend. Some of these headlines in the social space make you nauseous and wonder what’s happening to society and people around us.

Is there no good news to share anymore at all? Is there no Hope?  Things seem to be falling apart in everything around us. A few days back, I get a whats-app message that says “If you take into consideration all the signs, there is no mistaking that we are living our last days and its the end of time. Surrender to the Lord.".. but where is the Lord. I thought he resided in my heart- so what next? I hate negativity and often wonder why people share messages of doom instead of hope.

So I decided, I am going to take you on a walk into the realm of hope as there is a lot of it still out there. It is in fact, I realised, right next to me in my own little world. Call them by any fancy name - activists, leaders or change makers but for me they are just my friends who give selflessness and hope a whole new meaning altogether. Let me introduce you to some of my very own awesome change makers, I call friends.

RJ Anirudh Chawla, Big FM, who saved a life by landing up at a suicidal listener’s home after receiving a call and feeling uneasy about it. Prerana Langa, Yes Foundation, spreading the hope of social change and smiles through 'Yes I am the Change' films. Shivani Khetan who started Expresso CafĂ© with a simple thought and simple beginning of getting people to share their life experiences over a cup of coffee and coming forward to inspire others. 

Then there is my unassuming shy friend Dipesh Tank who found a woman lying covered in filth with burn injuries and helped her get back to a life of dignity. He undertakes school book drive for a village and runs to the rescue of citizens in need of help at the drop of a hat.  The dedicated Sailesh Mishra with his Silver Innings Foundation and a vision is to increase the involvement of senior citizens and enhance their dignity in the community apart from working relentlessly in the field of Dementia and Alzheimer. 

Then there is Indrani Ray (and a bit of me, too) of Arunima women’s forum to interact and exchange thoughts on issues concerning women in the Lokhandwala Complex area; Remila Puravankara, Taksheel Foundation, working to educate slum children and adults  in the age group of 5yrs to 40yrs coming from neighbouring areas of Lokhandwala Complex; Ramaa Subramaniam creator of Silver Innings Helpline, first of its kind one-stop portal for seniors & Pride Club;  Anita & Anand Gurnani of '50young' bringing new adventures and learning into lives of the 50+, Raheen JJ of NGO ‘Open your Arms' healing psycho-social problems faced by children; Bindu Bhonsle working for development of the less fortunate and in need; Sona Kumar of Sona Sarovar Trust improving the living condition in the rural areas through water conservation, employment, education, health, awareness; Sapna Bhavnani involved in women empowerment projects and working for the upliftment of women and children. 

There are so many more of my friends working for education, environment, girl child, etc. In fact in every field that we begin to think is eroding and losing hope. I can go on and on taking their names. Thankfully, even though the morning paper makes me wonder each day, I am really never depressed at all and neither have I lost hope at all because I am personally already walking the path with most of them  and blessed to be around them.  After all it is up to us, isn't it, to go out there and make good things happen around us. 

Besides, when push comes to shove and things seem dark, I know for sure that  there is loads of goodness in all of us and a wonderful group of my friends out there, happy to do the good deed. I know there is Hope and true caring people that deserve a big salute.

Be the beacon of light in someone's darkness....
Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile

No comments:

Post a Comment